Sister Catherine “Katie” Mullooly, daughter of the late James R. and Mary Kaden Mullooly, died at Mount St. Joseph on Thursday, June 20, 2013. She was born in Roanoke on November 17, 1933, and attended Copley Grade School in Copley and St. Patrick High School in Weston. She entered the Congregation at St. Joseph in Wheeling on August 22, 1951, and made her first profession of vows on March 19, 1954. Sister Katie received a Bachelor of Science in education degree from Duquesne University, Pittsburgh.
As a teacher, she served in several diocesan schools: Corpus Christi in Wheeling; All Saints in Bridgeport; St. John in Benwood; St. Joseph in Huntington; St. James in Clarksburg; and St. Anne School in Bristol, Virginia. She then ministered as director of religious education at Sacred Heart Parish in Bluefield for several years. Beginning in 1982, she was a pastoral minister at St. Mary Parish in Wheeling, St. Joseph the Worker Parish in Weirton, St. Joseph’s Hospital in Parkersburg and St. Vincent de Paul Parish in New Martinsville. Because of serious health problems, she retired to Mount St. Joseph in 1997, where she was engaged in community service and prayer ministry. She celebrated her 60th jubilee at Mount St. Joseph on July 30, 2011.
In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her brother, John Kaden Mullooly; and her sisters Theresa Mullooly and Jean Mullooly Siener. In addition to the Sisters of St. Joseph, she is survived by her sister, Mary E. Williams and her husband Walter, of Indianapolis, Indiana; her sister-in-law, Faye Mullooly, of Weston; her brother-in-law, Don Siener, of Cincinnati, Ohio; several nieces, nephews, grand nieces, grand nephews and cousins.
The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated June 26 in the Mount St. Joseph Chapel with Father Donald Serva, SJ, as celebrant. Interment was in the Sisters of St. Joseph section at Mount Calvary Cemetery in Wheeling.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Congregation of St. Joseph—Wheeling Center, 137 Mount St. Joseph Road, Wheeling, WV 26003.